Citing video clips is annoying as heeeck
"Okay, you were right, movies are the best way to go on a date." Hel whispered.
"Since the invention of the kiss there have been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind. The End."
As it turned out, the kiss Phil and Hel had at that point beat all of those.
Have them strike up a conversation the way real people do. Here’s a wikiHow on conversation starters to help spark a few ideas.
Other ways to get the talking ball rolling:
- Character A compliments Character B about something. Compliments in general are a low-stakes way to break the ice, and can range from the friendly (“Cute dress! Where’d you get it?”) to the flirtatious (“You have the most beautiful smile. Diamonds everywhere are envious.”) Paying a compliment can also be a shortcut to a conversation about a mutual interest. Let’s say Character B is wearing a t-shirt referencing a thing Character A also loves, like a band or a show or book. Character A might run up to them and say something like, “Oh my God, I love your shirt! Douglas Adams is the bomb. Did you like the radio series better, or the books?” The same goes for any books Character B might be reading or buying, the music they might be listening to or browsing, etcetera.
- Discussion about something they both obviously, superficially have in common. Maybe they’re in the same art appreciation class and they both hate it. Maybe they’re working on the same project for their Religion in Pop Culture class. Maybe they have a mutual friend that gets into crazy shenanigans and want to swap stories. Maybe they always see each other at the same out of the way, hole-in-the-wall cafe across town. Or maybe they’re wearing the same Hitchhiker’s Guide t-shirt.
- Character B plops down next to Character A and just starts talking. This was how I met one of my best friends in high school. We were in the same P.E. class freshman year, and on the very first day of school, I saw her sitting along the fringe of the group by herself. I didn’t have anyone to talk to either, and I figured the worst that could happen would be awkward silence, so I walked right over and sat down and introduced myself. We discovered we had the same favorite band, and WHAM, instant friendship.
- Get them tipsy. Alcohol is known as social lubricant for a reason. Also known as the Ernest Hemingway, if all else fails, stick your characters in a room together with a bottle of agreeable booze and some glasses.
I hope that helps.
On Sunday we submitted our Pip-Boy 3000 project to the NASA Space Apps challenge. This project, which I documented on my Instagram, was in response to the “Space Wearables” challenge pitched by NASA. We made a working space-themed Pip-Boy 3000 (found in the video game Fallout, which is an awesome game). Unlike most Pip-Boy replicas, ours has some really cool working sensors (including a REAL Geiger counter!) tracking real-time data. For an overview of our project, check out our official Space Apps page. There’s a short video there, and lots of info on our build!
Holy shit this post gained traction overnight!
Reblogging again cuz I still think this is the coolest shit ever and when they reach production I will be expecting one in the mail… lol
Woo! Restructured my essay finally!
Now for all the tiny details of citing.
Tbh, citing confuses me sometimes. I understand it on a basic level. But there are times when I can’t find the specific way to cite something that I need, and it’s entirely frustrating.
"MAY! HELP! EMERGENCY!" Skye raced around the corner of the Bus, and didn’t even notice when Ward fell back and bonked his head on the little table. "JEMMA! SOMEONE!"
"What are you yelling about, Skye." Fitz muttered as he fixed the joint on the little drone. "We are living in a very confined space, you don’t need to yell that-"
"Phil’s a necrophiliac! I just saw him!" Skye turned and began to bang her head on the side of the plane. "Can you invent brain bleach to get that out of my head?"
"That’s Jemma’s department." Fitz sighed,
"What do you mean ‘Phil’s a necrophiliac’?" Ward asked as he rubbed his head. "Am I bleeding?"
"He was kissing some sort of a zombie in his office and, no, it isn’t bleeding." Skye replied.
"She’s not a zombie." May sighed as she finally made her way into the back room. "That’s Hel, she’s the Norse goddess of death."
imagine steve and bucky going for a walk together but are stopped by a bunch of kids on a school trip, and instead of gathering around captain america, the kids crowd around bucky, because he’s “the guy with the wicked metal arm”
#imagine bucky sort of prodding at them like#’no no n ono non he’s captain america go bother h im n O YOU CAN’ T TOUC H IT YES IT’S A STAR’#’WHY??? BECAUSE I LIKE STARS’#’DO YOU KNOW WHO HAS A BIG STAR’#’CAPTAIN AMERICA’#’HE’S OVER THERE G O BO T HER HI M’ (via wintersoldjer)
Sasaeng fan: the term itself means “private life fan” and thus is used to describe so called fans that go to extreme lengths to invade the lives of kpop stars.
With the recent news of Taemin and Kai being chased, sasaeng incidences have once again been brought to light although we all know it happens on a daily basis to many idols. So much so that they can’t perform the most mundane tasks without some level caution such as going to the bathroom alone. With the infamous sasaengs of DBSK (and more recently EXO) only a few extreme cases have drawn attention from the media. To list them all could take hours and even days, many go unreported, but you can find various accounts online.
Why do they do it? Interviews have shown that they want to stand out, even if it means physical harm (Yoochun was slapped around the face by a fan and told it was the only way he’d remember her). Other reasons include a sense of ownership, even if it means urinating on their house and marking their territory. But most of their reasoning is beyond that of “normal” fans.
Sasaengs are often under-age, hence why often no real punishment ensues, and often people’s reactions are “well that’s what they signed up for”. When idols do retaliate it is often seen negatively and are the ones criticized for it. They sometimes try indirect forms via twitter or even pleading with fans to stop following them around but losing their temper could mean losing their career.
These situations occur daily to almost all kpop idols once a certain level of popularity is reached. It’s easy to point the finger and label a fandom for having particularly obsessive fans but it doesn’t matter what fandom or what nationality they are, sasaengs are not fans and they are not representative of a group or fandom.
What you should do:
I’ve always found it somewhat hypocritical when international fans criticize Korean/Chinese fans for their actions when they do exactly the same when their idols visit their own country. So if they ever do come to your country/if you ever go to theirs:
- Stick to official events.
- Hotels are for resting not photographing them in underwear.
- You know what stalking is right. Don’t do it.
- Basically, if you wouldn’t like a stranger to do it to you then don’t do it to them.
- Don’t make them feel uncomfortable and RESPECT THEIR PRIVACY.
That’s it, congrats on not being a sasaeng.
I’m gonna take your cold arm bucky, and raise you one metal sizzinling-in-the-middle-of-summer arm
Correcting a Common Current Misconception: Guy Fawkes: NOT about Anarchy
He was a well-meaning Roman Catholic who didn’t pay enough attention in Catechism class. (Blowing up people? Bad. Don’t do. Mortal sin.)
Snow White-Fifth Doctor cosplay.
I am SO EXCITED AT THIS you guys!!! People have told me many times they loved the Princess Time Lords so much they were going to cosplay, but this is the first time I’ve actually seen one and LOOK AT HOW AWESOME IT IS!
This was spotted at Salt Lake City’s Comic Con Fan XPerience and you can read all about the amazing Kim and the incredible effort she put into making this there.
Congratulations and amazing work, Kim! :D
“Evil exists because of the disobedience of Satan. God gave Satan, and the angels, and man free will. Satan used his free will and abused it by not obeying authority. Hell was created by Satan’s disobedience to God, and his purposeful removal from God’s love—which is what hell is. Removing yourself from God’s love. You send yourself to hell. God does not send you there.”—
another quote from this awesome guy!
“Homosexuality is not normal. On the contrary, it is a challenge to the norm. Nature exists whether academics like it or not. And in nature, procreation is the single relentless rule. That is the norm. Our sexual bodies were designed for reproduction. No one is born gay. The idea is ridiculous. Homosexuality is an adaptation, not an inborn trait.”— Camille Paglia (Lesbian Activist)
Solicitations for The New 52: Future’s End #1: “The mystery of the Martian Manhunter is revealed at last as his decades-long plan for world domination comes to fruition!”
FUCK. THIS. EARTH.
"At last my plans for world domination are at hand, now I can finally get you assholes to start acting like fucking heroes and goddamn do you fucking—Are you surrendering?! MOTHERFU-"
Okay, SCREW YOU DC!
J’onn was my favorite DC hero growing up. When I watched him on Justice League, he was clever, kind, and while he could single handedly beat each member of the league (they’ve gone on record saying they had to TONE HIM DOWN or the rest of the league would be irrelevant) he chose not to.
He liked their friendship. He grew as a person (martian?) because of them. He was, maybe more than the rest of the heroes, complicated.
Plus he did it all with non active powers. His primary skills lay in shape shifting, mind reading, and being able to phase through objects. He WAS strong, but strong in a way that Superman or Wonder Woman could deal with. He could fly, as could most of the league.
No, no, it was THOSE skills that made me endear him to me. The ones where he HAD to think out of the box.
So, to see THIS? THIS?
I’m sorry, DC. This isn’t J’onn. He’s not a conquerer. He’s a peacemaker.